Labor Day weekend has arrived and though it is an ending to a fantastic summer season it also serves as an entryway into the beautiful Florida Fall. This weekend we encourage you not only celebrate this beachin’ holiday which serves to recognize employed citizens of America and Canada in appreciation of their progression within the working world as it began national recognition as a holiday in 1882 but to take full advantage of your location on this final summer rally while you are here on one of America’s #1 island coast! Begin prepping your BBQ tongs, find some eye wear and start scrolling our list of the area festivities to make the most of your Labor Day 2017.
The Traditional Labor Day BBQ on the Beach
No Labor Day weekend is complete until a BBQ is thrown either beach side or at your beach house! Luckily Anna Maria Island has an ample inventory of both, check out last minute deals on beach front accommodations or head to one of the many public grill areas on the island to cook out with your toes in the sand (located at AMI Bayfront Park, Manatee Public Beah, Coquina Park and Palma Sola Park). Whichever option your going with don’t forget some modern party staples to complete the theme:
- Patriotic Desserts: Make it easy and make alot, these favorites have a short ingredient list, are quickly made and need to be tried stat! RECIPE 1, RECIPE 2
- Adult beverages: See our suggestions for easy jello shots (pick up some Pinnacle Whipped Vodka at the local AMI walgreens) or this red white and booze lemonade
- Kid’s Crafts: A quick trip to the Anna Maria Island Dollar Tree can buy you lots of time to enjoy the party, keep the little ones happily occupied with these crafty choices: edible patriotic star sticks, kid safe faux fireworks
- Decor: A few basic red, white and blue additions can theme an entire room; add these simple additions to your party space: RWB floral aesthetic, patriotic paper chains, flag baskets
The All American Sporting Events
No American holiday is complete without indulging in some aspect of our athletic culture, take your pick from our list below-it may be out of season but our sports scene keeps the ball rolling on our event list:
- Bradenton Marauders: Featuring 2 events this weekend, take your pick of Fan Appreciation Night on Saturday or Family Fun Night on Sunday at the field!
- Sarasota Regatta: THE location for this sport, on Saturday and Sunday you can attend the annual labor day event where thousands come to see the competitions!
- Venice Triathlon: Get into the action yourself and bike, run or swim your way to #1 at this local event located just an hr away from Anna Maria!
Grab your red, white and blue flower crowns and skip over to one of these events:
- Music On Main: A monthly happening will be themed for September’s event, kicking off in the late afternoon Friday it is the perfect place for dinner and a mild night out with live music, vendors and lots of smiling suburbians!
- Summer of Rum: Summer’s last hurrah in Tampa, head an hour North and get rowdy in the city with live music from Shaggy!
- Escape Reality EDM Night: This Saturday the venue is hosting a 18+ event where local DJ’s will spin all night in this tucked away locals spot, drink an energy drink, grab your glowsticks and dance the night away!
- Beer & Bacon Festival: Sarasota pairs up two favorites for any time of the year, visit one of our local breweries at J Dub’s to partake in the fizzy festivities.
Family Fun For All:
No matter how young or how old, these labor day options are fun for the whole family!
- ARTWALK – Happening on Friday and Saturday this weekend you can enjoy strolling through the local art district, absorbing it’s culture and taking in the local scene before heading downtown to Bradenton for more food and venue options!
- Sarasota Jungle Gardens: Offering labor day sales on ticket prices this rescue is an oasis tucked away in our local paradise of Sarasota. Experience hand feeding Flamingo’s while in FL, see the beautiful colors of tropical birds like the Macaw and get a chance to see snakes large enough to wrap around a school bus!